Friday, December 31, 2010

Auld Lang Syne

Today's a day for looking back and forward. Elizabeth Scalia and Peggy Noonan with some great thoughts on the song.

For us personally, it's been an interesting year. We've had some challenges and lots of blessings. There have been an unusual number of marriages in the family this year, and we've gotten to meet some new family members. David just got an interesting new job. All in all, I feel pretty grateful right now. We won't be going out, but Ken brought us some sparkling cider with which to "tak a cup o' kindness". Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

Dougie MacLean with all the lyrics to the great old song here. It really is remarkable that this song has stuck with us through changes in culture and language. I think that's a good thing. Here's Guy Lombardo's instrumental if you want to sing it yourself. Another interesting tradition.

Hope everyone is looking forward to a bright New Year.

If you want something a little different for New Years Day, you might try Blackeyed Pea Confetti Salad

2 comments:

Grammy said...

So, Carolyn, you have a blog! I do, too. It is such a great way to journal (the only way I ever do it seems). Here is a link:
http://kurlysplace.blogspot.com/
I have cute pictures of my grandkids on some of my posts. For the most part, it is probably boring. But I think it is a great way to keep in touch with others. Hope you have much joy.

Karla

Carolyn said...

Yes, it is a good way to journal, though I haven't been a frequent journaler. I checked a couple of post on your blog, and will be following it. Your Christmas Brunch story makes me glad that I didn't have guests coming when I have had major cooking disasters.