On Sunday, we had two interesting messages at church. The first was about learning to take "Joy in the Journey". Something I need to think about more deeply and plan for more carefully.
The second speaker used a story about his neighbor who likes to work on jigsaw puzzles as part of her quiet, meditative times. He noted that when working on a puzzle, she first put together the framework. I think of "frameworks" in life as principles and related rules for behavior. Without a framework, we are likely to get chaos. It is almost impossible to reach for the higher aspirations in life while mired in chaos. We really do need a place of at least minimal order in our lives if we want to make much progress.
On a more secular level, I thought of the famous "no guardrails" essay from the WSJ.
Back to our Picture of Life: As the speaker's neighbor worked on the puzzle, she placed odd-looking, sometimes ugly, pieces together to form something beautiful. In our own lives, working within a proper framework, we can fit difficult events, circumstances and often even difficult people into a beautiful picture if we work mindfully.
More bureaucracy this week. David seems to have caught whatever I had a couple of weeks ago (or something similar). He has been quite sick for a couple of days, but is starting to feel a little better, with an antibiotic, etc.
As a diversion, I've posted cookie recipes - traditional chocolate chip cookie bars with notes on getting the best texture, chewier big chocolate chip cookies or coconut bars and Oatmeal/Coconut cookies - for making ahead of your event. I wrote about Jujubes, too.
Over on the "Perplextities" blog, there's a post about blogging and a balanced life, featuring a link concerning Kristi Yamaguchi and one on how good men and good women can minimize the hurt they cause each other. My first attempt at "liveblogging". I am not particularly fond of "liveblogging", as a rule.
THE LAST POST
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment