Yesterday, Brother Smith brought Brother Large with him to speak at church. Brother Large is 84 years old and 5'4". But, as he says, he could be 5'1", so he is "large". He has a large heart, anyway. And he is in good shape.
When I started playing the prelude music, he came over and stood by me, watching my hands in fascination, as if it were a miracle that I could play the organ. And I guess it really is, when you think about it: all those parts of the body and mind working together. It was no concert performance. I wasn't even using foot pedals.
or natural pipes. Still, it reminded me to be grateful for the marvelous abilities that we have as human beings.
He spoke on the theme, "Behold, what I the Lord have done". More miracles.
Brother Smith reminded us of ways we should be thinking about others as Christmas approaches, and repeated a famous quotation which I need to remember:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why they call it THE PRESENT.
- Eleanor Roosevelt
(emphasis Brother Smith's)
After our meetings were over, Brother Large gave all the women who were sitting in the room a brotherly kiss on the forehead. We all appreciated this little token of brotherly love on the Sunday before Christmas.
Christmas Eve Update: speaking of marvelous abililities . . .
THE LAST POST
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment